Thursday, November 18, 2010

Functionality

It is a pleasure of mine to share you an unnecessarily-to-be-told surprise and it just arrived on my desk yesterday. So, the surprise is essentially a question about someone asked me whether there are no new posting on this crappy and/or least googled website. The minute I read that I just went.. Gee! I haven’t realized that anyone ever allocated their spare time to read this piece of scribble, and I don’t know whether anyone is amused or affected by my notes. Yet, if I were so good at writing, I might as well write about anything and people will love it, maybe about how to brush your teeth properly. But no, I will never have the competence to write about such topic, I believe my dentist would rather explain about teeth hygiene to a duck instead of me. As for now, I might write about something else and as I have mentioned in the previous piece on “Graduation”, which were written in bygone era, I should talk about functionality. It is essentially a pedantic stuff and so if you still have friends, I might suggest you to go somewhere else, maybe log onto the Facebook page of British Royal Family and find out what The Queen is doing. I think it is more fun than this note. Seriously.

Right.. functionality. If I could recall, it has something to do with others complaining about me wearing inappropriate footwear on certain occasion, in this case is sandal inside campus. Not in dread of nasty argument or dirty glances all over the shoulder, I would say that it is merely a principal of functionality. That’s it, no other reason. Now allow me to explain why. You see, I studied engineering and that involved a frequent visit into the laboratories. In this case, I agree that a pair of shoes becomes important, chiefly because it serves function to protect your toes from heavy tools falling. Now I should move the scene into a classroom, I literally could not find a single falling thing which will do harm on my feet. Even now, I think the heaviest thing which possibly falls onto my feet is the pen I hold in my hand, which I used to write this notes now, and I don’t think that it will do any life-threatening damage to my life. I recently went for an outbound trip with my friends (acquaintances included), in which I brought both my shoe and sandal along. Due to the rough terrain, the shoe unfortunately died while it performed its mission. I think it was a noble demise because it has done brilliant job in protecting my feet over the years. As for the sandal, it is clearly not the proper place which it should be worn. And that gives a clear underline on my statement, put on something appropriate with its place and occasion. Now that the question left whether sandal is appropriate in a campus? I still could not find anything wrong with it. Do I meet my rector in sandal? Never have and never will. So there you have the answer.

"What’s wrong with making sandals look fashionable for those haute couture addicts?"

Heide Klum once said: “A girl is as hot as the shoe she chooses.” I really could not agree less with what she said, but I also have some other points to make. She is a model, which I am not. She adores fashion, which I don’t. Correct me if I am wrong, but none of fashion branded item is correlated with sensible buying and has anything to do with functionality. I have two examples to address my points here. The first one is an article in a health and lifestyle magazine which covers about a young lady working in a five hotel. She complains about the requirement for her to wear a very tall high heel to support her appearance and as a result, she starts to develop noticeable pain around her ankle after months of usage. The picture also showed that she did look good in those pair of high heels, painfully good. And it got me thinking, if we have fashionable shoes, what’s wrong with making sandals look fashionable for those haute couture addicts? The second example takes me as a subject; several months ago I decided to buy a black wool cardigan since I don’t have one to attend a formal occasion. It was sold in a mall and sensibly priced. Until last month, I went to a store which happens to sell second grade exported items and found exactly the same cardigan as mine. When I say exactly, that spells only the similarity of fabric, color, motive and shape. The only difference is: mine was sold under the brand which spells nothing, whereas that second grade cardigan, which people fished it out from some clearance bin, had a Marks & Spencer badge on it. It soon got me thinking, whether these people buy stuff because they need it or they just try to fill the void inside their souls. I honestly had no idea where that exactly came from, but I watched it in Oprah once about a young lady who shopped stuffs excessively to cure her pain after getting a painful divorce. I do hope those people who fiercely grab clothes out of the clearance bin were not in process of curing themselves from a painful divorce though.

The conclusion of this note is quite straightforward, that you are what you wear. Also, do decide on what you wear based on the place and occasion. And the last conclusion is, if one day I see you brag about wearing a black Marks & Spencer cardigan even after reading this note, I would know that there are three possible things about you, that you are not a sensible buyer, that you take fashion show-off as a second grade item, or that you might be in a healing process after a painful divorce. Until the next posting, enjoy!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

isn't it supposed to be:
1. five-star hotel,
2. try to FILL the void?

sorry dheee klo commentnya ga membangun.. haha..


~3.14159265358979~

Siswono Tjia said...

Hmm.. I sense a self-justification here.. XD

Anonymous said...

Self assertive engkong.....

Anonymous said...

kong kong

Hadi Sanjaya Sim said...

editorial content not justified, thx a lot, midge..

Fendy said...

akhirnza postingan baru juga...

Post a Comment


ShoutMix chat widget