Thursday, January 01, 2009

Honesty Is The Best Policy

Quite recently until I decided to write this notes, I went on-line to check on my virtual social account, which is also one of the media of exhibitionism and hypothetically extroverted people to connect with each other, me included probably but I would rather beg to differ, mind you? Anyway, I was captivated by a shout out statement which was posted by my friend and it basically stated out that if someone lies, cheats on him or betray him, he is entitled to do so to others. Take a step further to the previous week; I went to a local gentrified supermarket which promotes some preposterously expensive delicacies and they were offering a special menu of the day. Presumably, the name given to the food might excite the smallest part of your brain and you would soon assume that this is probably a delicate cuisine rather than just a belly-feeding meal. So, this is how it was called: charcoal grilled chicken fillet chestnut. On the food section, they proudly listed the ingredients or whatsoever used to create this state-of-the-art meal on a reasonably big standing banner with a nice, probably “photoshopped” picture included. What I want to point out is, why would they use the word “charcoal” when in fact, they use a conspicuously big oven back there in the kitchen. Why chestnut? It somehow looks more likely to be almonds garnished around the limelight of the meal, which is the fillet. This is then to be confirmed to the service attendant by my sister, who enjoys making experiments on experimented foods. Basically, they said that even they used an oven to grill it, the moisture of the chicken fillet was as tenderized as you cook it on a charcoal-based griller. The chestnut itself was mashed to tiny pieces and dipped in the sauce which accompanied the fillet. And the garnish was not chestnut indeed, it was some kind of other nut which I can not recall and in fact, I shouldn’t have to actually.

I would capture the essence that selling goods is selling your soul and that is quite common within the community of business people. I would tip off: don’t trust a sales person an inch! And then my thought of honesty was shifted to the shout out posted by my friend. I try to figure out what if my friend talks something bad about me, which is factually fine by me, but they discuss it with someone else instead of with me directly. How hard could it be? Still, I somehow find it dilemmatic: what if it was your friend, a good colleague of yours, or your neighbor perhaps. Truth be told, I am able to address what I want to say directly to a person I just know for ten minutes, in a similar way but more comfortable to persons whom I have known for years. However, I wouldn’t have to break any bit, unless people consider me as a rude and stupidly sarcastic bloke. The thing is though, you know when to keep your mouth shut and keep your words as a qualified and well spoken opinion, rather than some cheap hey-look-at-me quotations. I sometimes failed to keep unnecessary words spoken out and it sometimes turns into a massive disaster. In other words, something inappropriate or completely uncalled for has been spoken out and after quite sometime, I realize how trashy it was!
"I wouldn't have to brake any bit, unless people consider me as a rude and stupidly sarcastic bloke."
For instance, several days ago a friend of mine bought a new cell-phone and it was the similar series as mine. What makes a difference is the choice of color: mine in a soothing blue und his in a shuddering red. In the name of subjective and personal taste, I know that I will not be lectured by anyone on what constitutes good taste, not even by a Karl Lagerfeld. So back to the reddish cell-phone, I think that it is revolting, very painful to look at, in such way that I would rather let it be recorded in the history pages of the worst looking cell-phone ever made. And yet, I could filter my sarcastic opinion before it was addressed. Eventually, I manage to keep my mouth shut and avoid any shrewish arguments with the remorseless owner. Instead and in fact this is the trashy part, I was talking about the hypothesis why he prefers red to blue, probably because the blue version was sold in a limited number and therefore, it is a trifle more expensive sales price compared to the red one (hate the marketing people so much, might just be the next note), or he might just have other thousands of reasons. Quite some time after that meeting, I soon found out that the brake function of my expressive chop has worked acceptably well and I think it was a good achievement of mine and yet, the hypothetical discussion about price selection has been not elegant at all, in fact it was pretty chintzy, glitzy and very cheesy as well. I don’t think that it is necessary or qualified since his choice was none of my problem, not even slightly and it was simply, very simply uncalled for.

So, the principal of honesty is the best policy might not work well for every moment, especially during a business meeting with a say like, ten million dollars residential superblock project since I understand that you might need to blow smoke someone’s bottom to win the tender. However, I would be very concerned if all of my friends hook up a bright smile all day and saying that every aspect in their life is doing perfect. Moreover, it is the sense of fear, in dread of furtive embarrassment and painful rejections all over the shoulder, that drives people away from being honest. I have met some people who are critical and aggressive in addressing opinion and yet in my opinion, I learned that it is fine to point out what you want to say, as long as it is done respectfully and with a reliable responsibility. I would also agree that honesty is the basic value of the mankind and no one gets to take it away. Sum it all up then; I honor those who are able to stand on themselves and still be consistent with their basic principals meanwhile they accommodate others’ opinion and demands well. Additionally, I believe that being honest reflects someone’s integrity and it determine your altitude, how high you want to be valued.

No comments:

Post a Comment


ShoutMix chat widget