Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Uncertainty

This time, I start off with something strange and I don’t think that this is a pure stupidity of mine since some of my colleagues do have the same opinion to what I am about to point out. So, in the previous semesters, thought of nervousness and worries had always dominated the day before final exam, at least for me though. Previously, we were nearly always given the study materials and points which we should pay more attention to; there were acceptably clearer guidelines on what we should pour over along with several exercises which we had to review. However, things are a bit different in this year and there are of course reasons behind it. This year and don’t know why, I had lost the sense to pursue a best result I could possibly achieve. It might sounds lunatic since one should work hard to achieve a good result or to me, I don’t like the idea of seeing myself standing in front of the general administration office, waiting for a requisition form for a repetition exam. God forbid! Quite straight forward actually, there is actually another element which caused me not being nervous or worried during the final exam. Presumably, I would refer this element as ‘uncertainty’ and that can be well explained actually. This year, the materials given to the students are quite fuzzy and they were strangely given by some qualified lecturers in their field who in the class appeared to be difficult to pass their knowledge to the students. How could I possibly be worried if I don’t know what I should be studying? I understand that it is a very sensitive topic to be addressed since there are two possibilities in regards to this issue, either the students are lame in comprehending the materials or it is indeed hard for the lecturers to share their understandings. Ouch! Which is right? It is still uncertain to me as well.

As the bereavements go, the act of being uncertain has only elicited negative outcomes and quite frankly, I should be very careful before quoting out such a statement since it might result other painful arguments or even objections to it. However, I have seen several obvious examples which are related to the negative consequences and they are, believe it or not, directly derived from the act of being uncertain. Please refer to the first paragraph to find out the first negative consequences of uncertainty, hopefully one will not have anything necessary to dwell about that. The other example can be found on a high way where most drivers who are involved in car accidents have the similar cause and surprisingly, the researches show that the driver were hesitate for a while before immediately stamp on the brake pedal to avoid the object in front of them. The last one and in fact it is the most crucial one, uncertainty is absolutely unacceptable in an operating room. No one in this holy world would want to have an indecisive surgeon operating them. I do believe nobody want to be associated to any of what I have pointed out above.

"People hate uncertainty since it shows weakness, insecurity and it drags us one step back before we could make a decision for our progress"


Still, the existence of uncertainty is undeniable and it is radically evolving around us. The trouble is, how should we face this? Should we just take it for granted? Or should we insist ourselves to be a decisive persons? Personally, I wouldn’t go that far because it is important to support our learning process and apart from the uncertain final exam’s materials, once you acknowledge the fact that you are letting yourselves in a situation of unclearness, you would give your best to escape from it and try to avoid such thing happen again in the future. Some might find it beyond their comprehension and yet it is normal actually, because it partially depends on the point of view of each person. People hate uncertainty since it shows weakness, insecurity and it drags us one step back before we could make a decision for our progress, it might happen if the decision of others will affect the choice we make. What I have figured out so far, people also dislike the word “maybe” when they demand an assurance or an answer from a question. For instance, now I would prefer to shut up if I am not sure or uncertain about the answer of a question and if at all possible, I am reducing the doses of using the words such as maybe, supposed to be, assume and etc, because there is no point of giving an answer to someone if it factually gives him/her another form of uncertainty, it is exactly the same like having a blind man guiding another blind man along and both are crossing a busy road together. It is just utterly useless.

Lastly, the choice of how someone deals with uncertainty is solely depends on his/her personal point of view. The interesting fact is, one expects many different reactions from other people when he/she is uncertain about one thing and I think the most common reaction is just be patient, because it is the most sensible solution other than rushing them to give the answer we expect, wrecking their nerve and causing them to explode, which eventually exposing us to a terrible fact that everything will go completely wrong. This is also my response to the final exam this year: just be patient and don’t wreck another’s nerve. Because I believe that on the final day of the exam, I will not complain anything about it anymore. So, why should I be worried when others are not? Some say, dream as if you would live forever, live as if you would die today. I’m all out. Post your comment. Enjoy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

To be continued: Response To Uncertainty

Landscape Contractors Clarksville said...

Innteresting thoughts

Post a Comment


ShoutMix chat widget